A whitehead is a type of acne which occurs when there is a build-up of dead skin cells, sebum and bacteria, which cause a pore to become blocked. They form due to the fact that the pore is too small to release the build-up and air cannot reach the follicle, which means that the material in the build-up remains white. The result of this is that a small white spot appears on the surface of the skin. Usually whiteheads on the face are the most common, although they can also appear on the shoulders. Both whiteheads and blackheads are known as comedones and both can be treated in much the same way.
How to Get Rid of Whiteheads on Face
The first thing to remember when trying to treat whiteheads is that popping or squeezing them is not a good idea. Not only can this spread bacteria around the skin, causing further outbreaks, but it can also damage healthy tissue that is surrounding the whitehead. By trying to get rid of a whitehead in this way, the risk of breaking the skin is high and this can result in permanent scarring. How to get rid of whiteheads on the face can be done in many ways, and there are many products and natural remedies that can be tried.
If a person wants the whitehead removed then it is always best to visit a dermatologist as they will have the right skills to do this without the risk of spreading bacteria, causing further whiteheads to form.
People should try to leave whiteheads alone while carrying out a skincare regime which will prevent further whiteheads from forming. Whiteheads will usually go away within a number of days without having to do anything to them. With this in mind a skincare regime should be put in place and women should avoid wearing make-up that is oil based as this can result in the formation of whiteheads.
A skincare regime to get rid of whiteheads on the face should include cleansing and toning and can be done in a number of simple steps:
- The face should be washed with a skincare product that has been chosen to suit the person’s skin type, two times a day. Then a cleanser should be used that contains an ingredient that is aimed at unclogging pores, such as salicylic acid.
- Skin should then be exfoliated two to three times a week after being cleansed, as this will help to unclog pores and enable healthier cells to grow.
- A toner should then be applied to close pores back up as leaving them as they are can result in bacteria being able to enter them.
- A moisturising cream should then be applied, however, for those with combination or oily skin any oily moisturising creams should be avoided.
- Steaming is also a good idea to undertake once a week as this will loosen up any oils or dead skin that has built up during the week.
Products for Getting Rid of Whiteheads
There are a number of acne products currently available on the market, which helps to get rid of whiteheads on the face. These include products such as facial scrubs, face masks, cleansers, toners and moisturisers. The best products tend to have salicylic acid or similar ingredients in them. Using these products is not a quick fix and most need to be used daily. They can help people who want to get rid of whiteheads and also prevent any further outbreaks.
Natural Remedies for Getting Rid of Whiteheads
There are many natural remedies for getting rid of whiteheads advertised, but not all are effective and most will not usually help with severe cases. They do have an advantage over products that are available in most shops, as they have no chemicals in them and are kinder on the skin in the long run. Homemade oat masks have been proven to having cleansing qualities and teas such as chamomile can be used to cleanse the skin.
Other tips that can help to prevent the formation of whiteheads are:
- Try not to touch a face with dirty hands, as this can transfer bacteria.
- Using a cleansing mask once a week can help to unblock pores and keep them clear.
- Always remove make-up before going to bed, as not doing so can result in pores getting blocked.
- Try to drink plenty of fluids as this will keep the skin hydrated and looking healthy.