It is a well known fact that acne affects the vast majority of people at some stage in their lives; something like 8 out of 10 people suffer from this ailment at one time or another. Very often the medicines that can be bought either over-the-counter or via a prescription can work out to be very expensive, especially if taken in the doses that the manufacturer suggests to clear the skin complaint. This is perhaps why an increasing number of people are choosing to turn to more natural and cost effective ways of treating their acne. Coconut oil for acne is one such treatment that is getting rave reviews from around the world; this method is fast becoming one of the most popular ways of relieving the symptoms of acne.
How Coconut Oil Treats Acne
Coconut oil for acne is effective because it contains antibacterial properties that help to contain and reverse the symptoms of the condition. Put simply, acne is caused because of a build-up of bacteria as dead skin cells or dirt that blocks the pores in the skin; when the pores become infected or inflamed the result is then called acne. In addition to this, coconut oil is rich in vitamin E; it is this vitamin that also helps the sebum glands to function properly and helps to reduce the outbreaks of acne. Other benefits of vitamin E are that it works as a moisturizer and a sunscreen all rolled into one.
In many cases the coconut oil can have very quick results, with people reporting that in as little as a couple of weeks their skin started to clear up from the acne, and felt brighter as a result.
The visible redness from the acne is reduced by the antibacterial qualities of the coconut oil, with the previously blocked pores becoming smaller; giving the skin a much healthier look.
Which Coconut Oil Works the Best?
When it comes to selecting the best type of coconut oil to use it is best to avoid the unrefined versions, as these can contain impurities and can also be unhygienic. The best results are achieved when using a virgin coconut oil.
How to Use the Coconut Oil
For topical treatment:
- Open your pores as much as possible; this can be achieved by taking a hot shower or by using a hot flannel.
- You can either use the coconut oil neat or add some salt to it, when adding salt it will act as an exfoliator; this will help to remove the dead skin cells as well.
- Once the oil is applied the face should be covered with a damp washcloth for between 10 – 15 minutes, this will help the skin to soak up the oil.
- After this stage the oil should be pretty well absorbed into your skin.
- You can now use a clean washcloth to remove any surface oil that might remain.
This method should be followed once or twice per week with visible results normally within the first couple of weeks of the applications.
It is also possible to take coconut oil for acne as a digestible food product.
For oral consumption:
- Take 2-4 tablespoons of coconut oil each day.
- Mix in to green tea or other herbal drinks.
- Add to salads.
- Add to food dishes in general cooking.
Coconut oil for Acne Recommended by a Supermodel
Supermodel Miranda Kerr is a strong advocate of using coconut oil in this way; she believes it contributes to her glowing skin and hydrated hair. Perhaps this is the reason why Miranda is able to keep her skin looking radiant and blemish free, with the coconut oil eliminating the bad bacteria in her body so she doesn’t have to worry too much about unsightly pimples or acne.