Acne is a troublesome and embarrassing skin condition that is suffered by many people. Perhaps as annoying as the condition itself is the fact that there are few cures for acne and many of the management systems that are on the market are expensive to utilize in a regular routine as they are specifically designed. Fortunately, baking soda acne treatments have received rave reviews from people who have tried and tested the surprising solution all over the world.
Baking soda is used for many different household tasks ranging from baking, to cleaning surfaces and even teeth. Now it appears there is one more benefit to add to the long list of what baking soda can do to help people.
What Makes it Work on Acne?
As the treatment has only recently come to light, there is not a lot of specific scientific evidence to suggest why it baking soda acne treatments should be so effective. However, there are some facts about the household ingredient which help to explain the benefits a little better.
It is known that ancient Egyptian women used a substance which was basically an ancient version of baking soda as part of their daily cleansing routine. Some would argue that if the routine was good enough for the renowned beauty that was Cleopatra, then it must have some positive qualities.
The household ingredient has a few properties which would be logical in the use of an effective acne treatment including:
- Antiseptic agents – Affective to reduce the soreness of angry acne spots
- Exfoliating – The fine but hard grains of the baking soda can serve as a light exfoliant to remove dead skin cells which help to clog pores. However, it is unlikely that the exfoliation will be so severe as to remove the upper layer of the skin which acts as a protection barrier.
People who use baking soda as a form of acne treatment report that the solution dries out the acne spots whilst having a positive effect on any skin discoloration which in turn evens out the complexion. The exfoliating nature of the baking soda as discussed will leave the skin feeling noticeably smoother and healthy.
There are several ways in which to use baking soda as an acne treatment:
#1 – Straight forward scrub
- Mix half a cup of baking soda together with one eighth of a cup of water
- Apply the paste to the face, massaging it in – do not scrub franticly!
- After two minutes of massaging, rinse the face thoroughly with warm water
- Pat dry
#2 – Face mask
- Mix equal parts of baking soda to water to form a thick paste
- Massage the paste into the face for a good five minutes
- Leave the mask for seven minutes on the first occasion
- Rinse thoroughly with warm water
- Pat dry
Every time after the first, the mask can be left for anywhere up to 15 or 20 minutes. It is important to be completely still whilst the mask is on.
#3 – Toner/Spritzer spray
- Fill an average sized spray bottle with water
- Add one or two table spoons of baking soda
- Shake well until the baking soda is dissolved
- Spray onto the face after cleansing
This solution can be left without rinsing off. Some people may prefer to carry out this method at night before bed time and wash the face as normal in the morning before going out.
Whilst baking soda is made from natural ingredients, there may be some irritation, especially on sensitive skin. It is therefore good practice to try any mixture on a small area of skin to test its effects before applying to the whole face.